Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Price of Growing Up

I was just listening to my iPod while posting the previous post when I heard a familar song playing through the speakers. It was "You Got A Friend In Me" from the Toy Story movie. Nostalgia swept through me as I started thinking about how I used to love watching Toy Story, which then ramified to other cartoons, like the Disney classics (Alladin, Little Mermaid, etc)

Then I thought about everyone leaving for greener pastures in another country. I thought about how everyone is already planning on entering the working world, and worried about how much money they'll make when they get out of uni. I thought about how stability was lost when I left for Australia.. I thought about how difficult it would be to keep in touch with each other, now that our lives are intertwined no more..


Wasn't it just yesterday when I would look forward to watching Disney Channel and despise sleeping because I have to wake up early to go to school. Wasn't it just yesterday when I used to chase girls around, throwing these silly toys that explode after a few seconds? Wasn't it just yesterday when I would hang out with the boys under the tree, or the gutter in the foyer?
Wasn't it just yesterday when I found out what having a girlfriend meant? Wasn't it yesterday when I so wanted to be older so I could have the privileges only adults could have?

It wasn't?

Felt like it though..

And now the speakers sing again, this time with yet another poignant song..

"When they get to the part


Where he’s breakin’ her heart

It can really make me cry

Just like before

It’s yesterday once more



Lookin’ back on how it was

In years gone by

And the good times that I had

Makes today seem rather sad

So much has changed"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh bitch
you're sitting right next to me at the moment
and you're looking through your friendster page
how lifeless is this?
and btw you owe me a drink just cause you won some money the other day*cough daniel has been gambling cough in AUD cough*
so, how;s everything going on with your love interest (you-know-who who's currently still in malasyia but might be coming to melbourne nextyear)(whom you;re denying you're interested in)

Anonymous said...

eh dood your pic's now in my blog haha